How can we help?


Webchat is the quickest and easiest way to get in touch with us.
Look out for the pink "How can we help?" window, which will pop up when an agent is available.

Write to Us

House of Fraser Customer Services
3/1 Granite House
31 Stockwell Street
G1 4RZ

Email Us

Require a replacement e-receipt?

If you need to return an item, you’ll need the e-receipt for your order. This would have been attached to the email titled “This is your receipt – Your order is on its way!” we sent you when your order was despatched from our warehouse.

If you need a replacement e-receipt, the quickest way to request a new e-receipt is to send us your order number using one of the following links:

If you cannot use the link above, please send an email with your order number as the subject line to

Please don’t send personal information in your email, emails containing personal information will be deleted.

Only e-receipt requests will be processed via this mailbox, any other correspondence will be deleted, please use the contact methods above for all other queries/requests.

For more information on how to return an item, visit the Returns & Refunds page.

Return Address

House of Fraser Returns
Shaw Close
Park Farm Industrial Estate

Have a complaint?

If you have a complaint you can raise this via any of the contact methods on this page, alternatively for independent advice on getting your complaint with us solved, visit Resolver

Alternatively, if you have a complaint about any goods or service you purchased online, and have exhausted our complaints procedure the Online Dispute Resolution can be accessed by following this link: