What makes a cup of coffee?
- Espresso: shot of espresso
- Americano: shot of espresso, hot water
- Flat white: shot of espresso, dash of milk
- Cappuccino: shot of espresso, one part milk, frothed milk
- Cafe latte: shot of espresso, two parts milk, steamed milk
- Cafe mocha: layer of chocolate powder, shot of espresso, hot milk, whipped cream
TIP: use semi-skimmed milk for lattes and cappuccinos. The reduced fat content creates a balance between a light frothy texture and creamy taste.
Taking care of your coffee machine
A well-kept machine can last for as long as a decade. Here’s how to clean a coffee machine when you’re making the most of it:
- Daily: Take 5 minutes to empty all waste containers and flush out steam wands running the recommended manufacturer programs.
- Weekly: Take 20 minutes to run a thorough system clean using recommended cleaning tablets (the machine runs the clean itself).
- Monthly: Take 45 minutes to de-scale your machine by running the set program. This helps to keep it clog-free and prevent it malfunctioning.