Trying to master Halloween makeup certainly isn’t easy. So, to save ourselves another year of last-minute panic, we’ve spoken to the best makeup artists in the business who have shared their favourite at-home Halloween looks.
A splash of colour
Amanda Rodriguez, International Artistry Manager at Urban Decay, says: “If you have a lot of makeup and you don’t have a Halloween costume, you can get a little bit experimental and have some fun.” Here, she’s provided some inspiration in the form of this head-turning look.
- With a flat eyeshadow brush, apply Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Woodstock, £15, to the inner corners and blend out. For extra punch, follow up with the 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil, £15.50, in the correlating shade.
- Now that you have your starting point, continue to build up the splashes of colour around the eye with four other eyeshadows of your choice (Amanda uses Deepend, Chaos, 1985 and Spike). For extra definition and pigmentation, continue to layer with liner in the shadow’s matching shade.
- Line the upper lash line with Razor Sharp Liquid Eyeliner in Perversion, £17, and extend into a flick. Then, using corresponding colours once more, apply Heavy Metal Glitter Eyeliner, £15, over the patches of colour.
- Apply several coats of Troublemaker Mascara, £19.50, for jet-black, high-impact lashes.
- Line and fill in your lips with 24/7 Glide-On Lip Pencil in Perversion, £14.50, and glide Vice Lipstick, £15.50, also in Perversion, over the top. To achieve a Halloween-y iridescent effect, blot Vice Special Effects Lip Topcoat in Litter, £15.50, onto the centre of the lips and blend out with your finger.
Vamp it up
There’s no doubt about it, the best Halloween makeup always features a dramatic eye, which is why Sascha Jackson, UK Lead Pro-Artist at Stila, has given us her spooky take on the traditional smoky effect.
- Using the Stila Smudge Pot in Black, £13, is a quick and easy way to achieve a dark, smoky eye. Simply take a shadow brush and buff across the whole eyelid and into the crease. For a sultry, gothic look, work it into the lash line.
- To add glamour but keep a vampy vibe, finish with a sweep of Glitter & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow in Molten Midnight, £23.
- Work Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner, £14.50, across the top lash line and extend into a razor-sharp flick. This will elongate the eye and add extra glamour and definition to the look.
- After curling lashes, apply several coats of Mile High Mascara, £18.
- For the perfect complement, sculpt your face with Stay All Day Face and Body Bronzer, £28, by applying it as a contour powder under your cheekbones. Then, to make everything pop, lightly dust Heaven’s Hue Highlighter in Transcendence, £28, over the highest points of your face.
Eyes to kill
If you want to keep things dark and mysterious but without all the glitz, then this one is definitely for you. Roxie Cotter, Face Designer at Giorgio Armani, explains how to create the perfect Halloween eye and lip combination.
- For long-wearing full coverage, apply Power Fabric Foundation, £40, all over the face. Then, conceal blemishes with High Precision Retouch Concealer, £28, for radiant-looking skin.
- Apply Smooth Silk Eye Pencil in shade 04, £19, as an eyeshadow base, to intensify the colour. Take the pencil under the eye and into the lower-lash line to exaggerate eyelash shadows. Then, take Eyes to Kill Eyeshadow in shade 02, £28, and apply all over the lid and up beyond the crease.
- Apply Giorgio Armani Eye Tint in shade 01, £28, all over the lid to intensify the eye socket and blend carefully under the lash line. Finally, illuminate your look by tapping Eyes to Kill Eyeshadow shade 12, £28, into the inner corner of the eye. To finish, apply several coats of Eyes to Kill Mascara, £28.
- For maximum-effect, chiselled bone structure, lightly dust Sun Fabric Bronzer, £50, into the hollows of your face - under your cheekbones, up to the temples and into your hairline.
- Finally, line your lips with the Smooth Silk Lip Pencil in shade 11, £19, and fill in. Then, apply one defined swipe of Ecstasy Shine in 601, £29, for the perfect high-shine berry lip.