About this store
The Oracle takes its name from the 17th Century Oracle workhouse, which occupied part of the site on which the shopping centre was built. In the 1990s, archaeologists discovered an ancient tannery and a water mill dating back to the Domesday Book of 1086. Before it was cleared for construction in 1997, the site was occupied by the Simonds’ brewery and the Reading Bus Depot. The shopping centre opened in September 1999, with House of Fraser becoming a major attraction for customers from across the Thames Valley.